lauantai 21. marraskuuta 2009

T+11

So even after a good night sleep, I didn't end up hating the idea of blogging and made it public @ blogspot. I really feel that I should have started a blog about Quickrally -project from the day one. It would be so cool to see how the engine grew from very simple "helloworld in OpenGL" to what it is now. I really should use quote marks around the word engine though. I'd rather describe it as a codebase or even "big pile of undocumented gamedev code for me to copy-paste from". Game engines typically have more features, more structure and more encapsulation. This makes them useful for everyone. My "engine" is useful for me and me only. I'm going to refer to it as engine for now on, but take it with a grain of salt.

While the Tanksalot and Quickrally essentially use alot of the same components and code, I actually separated the two projects completely. Due the lack of solid structuring and careful planning, I was slightly afraid that whenever I did something new in the Tanksalot, it would break things up at the Quickrally and vice versa. It is not something I'm very proud of, but it was necessary for my immidiate mental health. While the two are now separated, it is still very easy to copy Java classes from one project to another since underneath they share similar structure and hierarcy. I'm going to go deeper into actual engine later in the blog and explain what I did and why. For now I'll just say that I'm using stuff like this:

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti